Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy New Year!!



Now that 2009 is a couple of days old, I have had time to reflect on the past year and think about what I would like to accomplish this year. I noticed I had posted some New Year's Intentions for 2006, and while I did achieve some of them, I think they are a good place to stay for 2009 (so what if I take 3 years to accomplish what I set out to do--they are my intentions and my timeline!). So here's the list from 2006:



  1. I intend to be more concerned about the people around me and how they are feeling and doing. I want to spend more time putting myself in their shoes to see their side of the situation.

  2. I intend to be more focused on my husband and his well-being. I realize that I have a true gem in him, and I need to be better about telling him that.

  3. I intend to take better care of my family. I want to be more family-centered and less self-centered.

  4. I intend to take better care of myself. I have so many self-destructive habits, I hope to eliminate them.

  5. I intend to grow spiritually, and embrace the Creator more closely.

  6. I intend to use my creative streak more often and enjoy the process, not just the product.

So where did I make some progress? I think I did a lot towards being more concerned with others, with being focused on my husband, and taking better care of my family. I think spending time away from home in my travels helped me become more appreciative of what I have here at home, and made it easier for me to find the little things I can do to show my love for others.


I worked hard on my creative side, but think I still got caught up in the end product and failed to take the time to enjoy the process. That is definitely something to work on. I know I got sidetracked with the flooding that threatened to eat many of my craft supplies, but have not yet finished putting everything away and getting organized. I MUST do that! So I am going to add a couple of intentions to work on for 2009.



  1. Get organized! Find places for things and things which have no place should go away! Work a little each day to keep the house, my spaces and my life organized and clutter-free. Get rid of more and buy less.

  2. Eat right, and help Dan eat right too. Stop nagging and start nourishing. Weight loss? How about 2 pounds per week? Sounds pretty easy and comfortable, and I could have a new me by mid-summer!

  3. Spend less. This kind of goes into the organization thing as well, as I want to be sure I plan better to spend less on things we need for the house. I have also come to realize that I have more craft supplies in the basement than the local Michael's, and I intend to not purchase ANYTHING for as long as possible. What if I reward myself with $1 every day I do not purchase something and fine myself $5 every time I do, plus the cost of what I bought? At the end of the year I could have enough for a new camera! Hmm, I like that idea. Then there is the whole budget thing, need to work with Dan on that. Maybe I should take over the finances? Not sure. I do know we need to work better together on them. Neither one of us thinks we spend a lot of money, but then in a month we spent about $900 at Pick N Save. Ridiculous for 3 people, though about $150 was Thanksgiving, so thus understandable.

  4. Take a vacation. With Dan. Alone. Go somewhere that does not involve working. Even just for the weekend. Maybe as a reward for our weight loss? Liking that idea!

Okay, that is enough. Ten things to work on in 2009. And perhaps this time I can make more progress and not take 3 years to accomplish some of it!


Happy New Year!!!!

No comments: