Sunday, June 08, 2008

Water

This bridge near my house has become a dam.


I have a love/hate relationship with water. I love being on the water, sailing, canoeing, floating, snorkeling, but I really dislike being in the water. Swimming? I float well, due to high body fat, lol, but I'm not so crazy about getting my face wet. Wading? More my style. Showers? I hate getting my face wet, and to have it "sprinkled", oh, that is the worst!





This weekend has been the best of the worst, or the worst of the best, or maybe the worst of the worst. I had to drive home through the worst rainstorm ever (that will be another post) and have been watching as the incessant rain fills my basement with water and turns my local normally calm river and stream into raging torrents.





I started thinking about water, how we cannot live without it, yet too much will destroy us. I think this is a good metaphor fort just about everything. For everything we enjoy, we must have just so much of, lest it kill us. Food? Sustains and nourishes us, yet too much leads to obesity and death. Wine? Same thing, some is great, but too much will lead to our downfall. The river that we enjoy today may turn into the deluge that is our destruction. We must always be mindful of this, and keep balance in all things.

No comments: